INFO HOT-LINE: If, after reading this owner’s guide you have any questions or comments, please call 1-800-5-HOLMES and a
Customer Service Representative will be happy to assist you.
PLEASE READ AND SAVE THESE IMPORTANT
- Read all instructions before using the appliance.
- To avoid fire or shock hazard, plug the appliance directly into a 120V AC electrical outlet.
- If the filter is covered by a bag when shipped: Remove plastic bag over filter before use.
- Keep the cord out of heavy traffic areas. To avoid fire hazard NEVER put the cord under rugs, near heat registers, radiators, stoves, or heaters.
- To protect against electrical hazards. DO NOT immerse in water or other liquids. Do not use near water.
- Close supervision is necessary when any appliance is used by or near children, or by people with disabilities.
- Always unplug the air purifier before moving it, opening the grill, changing filters, cleaning or whenever the air purifier is not in use.
Be sure to pull by the plug and not by the cord.
- NEVER drop or insert any object into any openings.
- DO NOT operate any appliance with a damaged cord or plug, if motor fan fails to rotate, after the appliance malfunctions, or if it
has been dropped or damaged in any manner. Return appliance to manufacturer for examination, electrical or mechanical adjustment, or repair.
10.Use appliance only for intended household use as described in this manual. Any other use, not recommended by the manufacturer may cause fire, electric shock, or injury to persons. The use of attachments not recommended or sold by The Holmes Group Inc,
may cause hazards.
11.DO NOT use outdoors.
12.NEVER block the air openings, or place on soft surface, such as a bed or sofa, as this could cause the unit to tip over, blocking the Air Intake Opening.
13.Keep unit away from heated surfaces and open flames.
14.DO NOT attempt to repair or adjust any electrical or mechanical functions on this unit. Doing so will void your warranty. The inside of the unit contains no user serviceable parts. All servicing should be performed by qualified personnel only.
15.WARNING: To reduce the risk of fire or electric shock, DO NOT use this air purifier with any solid-state speed control device.
CORD AND PLUG INSTALLATION SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS
The length of cord used on this appliance was selected to reduce the hazards of becoming tangled in, or tripping over a longer cord. If a
longer cord is necessary an approved extension card may be used. The electrical rating of the extension cord must be equal to or greater
than the rating of the air purifier. Care must be taken to arrange the extension cord so that it will not drape over the countertop or table-
top where it can be pulled on by children or accidentally tripped over.
READ ALSO: Coway Air Purifier AP-1512HH & AP-1512HH(W) User’s manual
Congratulations on your purchase of a Holmes Air Purifier. Your Holmes Air Purifier has an attractive stylish design. Its versatility and quiet
operation make this unit perfect for both the home and the office.
Your Holmes Air Purifier Model HAP242, HAP243, HAP244 or HAP246 incorporates the latest technology in portable air filtration equipment.
• A powerful turbo fan system operated by a rugged long life motor, quietly pulls the air in through the front inlet grill.
• Polluted room air passes through a washable, foam pre-filter that removes larger airborne particles such as lint, dust and pollen. The
air then passes through the activated carbon coated layer which helps filter odors. The partially filtered air is then drawn through a
pleated long life HEPA filter. This filter removes particles as small as 0.3 microns filtering dust, pollen, smoke and pet dander. The purified air is then returned to the room through the top mounted grill.
• The air purifier will filter the air 6 times an hour in a room 10′ x 11′ (109 sq. ft.), 3m x3.5m (10.13m2) when on the HI setting.
• Your Holmes air purifier has an independently controlled ionizer, which, when turned on, releases negative ions into the outgoing
filtered air. Ions are tiny particles that carry a positive or negative charge. These ions exist naturally around us, in the air, water, and
ground. Both positive and negative ions are colorless, odorless, and completely harmless.
• Negative ions help the air purification process by attaching themselves to very small airborne particles in the room. These particles take on a negative charge and may join with positively charged particles, such as dust, pollen, smoke, and pet dander to form larger particles that are then more readily captured by the filter system, or they may be attracted to positively charged surfaces like walls or floors.
• You may also note, after extended use, that dust may have collected around the grills or front panel. This is from the ionization effect
caused by the negative ions exiting from the air outlet. This dust is drawn out of the uncleaned air going past the air outlet. This is additional evidence of the air-cleaning effectiveness of negative ions. The dust can be easily removed with a clean, dampened cloth or soft brush.
Please Note: It is important to replace the HEPA filter at the recommended intervals. Using the ionizer in conjunction with dirty filters may result in dirty particles exiting the air purifier and being attracted to walls, carpets, furniture, or other household objects. These dirty particles may prove very difficult to remove.
THIS PRODUCT IS EQUIPPED WITH A POLARIZED AC (Alternating Current) PLUG (a plug having one blade wider than the other). This plug will fit into the power outlet only one way. If the plug does not fit fully into the outlet, reverse the plug. If it still does not fit, contact qualified personnel to install the proper outlet. DO NOT DEFEAT THE SAFETY PURPOSE OF THIS POLARIZED PLUG IN ANY WAY.
DUAL POSITION – The air purifier can stand upright or lie on its side. Also designed to fit with its back flush against the wall. When positioning the unit please be sure the air inlet grill, filters and air outlet are not blocked to ensure maximum airflow.
EQUIPPED with GE motor for quieter performance and the added durability necessary for continuous use.
Filter check indicator – The filter check indicator will illuminate red when it is time to change the filter.
- Carefully unpack your Air Purifier. Select a firm, level place where there are no obstructions to the air inlet (front grill) or filtered air
outlet (top of unit). A good location in a room is about 2 feet above the floor and approximately 1 foot away from the wall, in a central
location of your home.
- Remove front grill by pulling the grill towards you (see fig. 1).
- Remove the HEPA filter by gripping on both sides and pulling forward.
- Remove protective plastic bag from the filter cartridge. The filter clip can only be attached to the hang tabs on the filter one way. The filter clip should easily slide onto the filter hang tabs with only a small amount of pressure. Do not use force while attaching the filter
clip to the filter. Align the clip on the top of your HEPA filter with the rails on the inside of the unit. Gently slide the filter onto the rail (see figure 2).
NOTE: The pleated material and rubber gasket should be facing towards the unit when applied.
- Replace front grill by sliding back onto unit. Make sure that it snaps securely into position (grill only goes on one way). NOTE: Do not point outlet towards wall.
A. INLET GRILL
B. WASHABLE FOAM PRE-FILTER
C. SPEED CONTROL
D. POWER INDICATOR
E. FILTERED AIR OUTLET
F. FILTER CHECK LIGHT
G. IONIZER CONTROL
H. IONIZER LIGHT
I. HEPA FILTER
J. POWER CORD
- Plug into a 120V AC electrical outlet.
- Select the desired operating speed; HI, MEDIUM, LOW, by sliding the switch to the appropriate setting. If you have an HAP244 or HAP246 the speed settings are indicated with green lights. You set the speed by pressing the power button.
- To release negative ions into the filtered air, slide the ionizer button to ON and the amber light will illuminate. If you have an
HAP244 or HAP246 the ionizer is activated by pressing the ionizer symbol on the control panel. The amber light will illuminate when
- The ionizer will not work unless the unit is running.
- The HAP246 comes with a remote control. To operate the unit you simply depress the desired buttons.
- For optimum air filtration, it is recommended to operate the air purifier continuously. Its rugged motor has been designed to give
many years of use.
For continuous use, it is recommended to operate the air purifier at the NORMAL setting. For quieter operation or use in a bedroom, select the QUIET setting. When high levels of air pollution are present, select the HI setting to quickly circulate and filter the room air.
FILTER CHANGE INDICATOR – When the filter change indicator turns red it is time to replace your filter. See filter replacement instructions for more details.
Turn off and unplug the unit before cleaning.
- The outside of the air purifier can be cleaned with a soft, clean, dampened cloth.
- The front grill can be removed and washed in warm soapy water (Not dishwasher safe). Dry before replacing in the unit.
- The top air outlet grill can be cleaned of dust with a small soft brush.
WARNING: Do not allow moisture to come in contact with the main housing of the air purifier.
FILTER REPLACEMENT INSTRUCTIONS
- Every few weeks, check the condition of the pre-filter.
- Remove the front grill. Examine the foam pre-filter. If the pre-filter has collected a noticeable amount of dust or lint, remove it from the inlet of the grill and wash it in warm soapy water. Rinse and drip dry the pre-filter thoroughly before replacing it in the inlet of the grill.
- The filter check indicator light on the control panel will illuminate when HEPA filter replacement is needed.
- With the front grill removed, remove the used HEPA cartridge and dispose of it in the garbage. Do NOT try to wash and re-use
the HEPA filter. Replace with a new HEPA HAPF 30 filter, removing the protective polybag before inserting into the air purifier.
- Align the clips on the top of your HEPA filter with the rails on the inside of the unit. Gently slide the filter onto the rail.
NOTE: The pleated material and rubber gasket should be facing towards the unit when applied.
- After replacing the HEPA filter, RESET the filter change indicator by inserting a small object (such as a pin or paper clip) into the hole
- Filter Life – Under normal conditions of continuous use, the HEPA filter will operate efficiently for 4-6 months.
- Replacement filters (HAPF30) are available from your local supplier or by calling 1-800-5-Holmes.
|UNIT WILL NOT OPERATE||• Check to make sure the unit is plugged in.|
|• Check to make sure the unit is on by sliding the power switch (HAP243) to the on position or by pressing the power button (HAP244 and HAP246).|
|• Check the remote control.|
|DECREASED AIR FLOW||• Check the filters to see if they are in good condition and if they need to be changed.|
|• Check to ensure nothing is blocking air inlet and filtered air outlet.|
READ ALSO: LIVING AIR CLASSIC AIR PURIFIER USER’S MANUAL
- Do NOT attempt to repair or adjust any electrical or mechanical functions on this unit. Doing so will void the warranty.
- If you have any questions regarding this units operation or believe any repair is necessary, please call 1-800-5-HOLMES to speak with a
Customer Service Representative.
- If you need to exchange the unit, please return it in its original carton, with a sales receipt, to the store you purchased it. If you
are returning the unit more than 30 days after the date of purchase, please see the enclosed warranty.
- If you have any other questions or comments, feel free to write us:
The Holmes Group, Inc.
P.O. Box 769
Milford, MA 01757-0769
For your own records, staple or attach your sales receipt to this manual. Also, please take a moment to write the store name/location and date purchased below.
(STAPLE RECEIPT HERE)
THREE (3) YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY
SAVE THIS WARRANTY INFORMATION
A. The quality controls used in the manufacture of this Holmes product are to ensure your satisfaction.
B. This Warranty applies only to the original purchaser of this product.
C. This Warranty applies ONLY to repair or replacement of any supplied or manufactured parts of this product that, upon inspection by Holmes authorized personnel, proves to have failed in normal use due to defects in material or workmanship. Holmes will determine whether to repair or replace the unit. This Warranty does not apply to installation expenses.
D. Operating this unit under conditions other than those recommended or at voltages other than the voltage indicated on the unit, or attempting to service or modify the unit, will render this WARRANTY VOID.
E. Unless otherwise proscribed by law, Holmes shall not be liable for any personal injury, property or any incidental or consequential damages of any kind (including water damage) resulting from malfunctions, defects, misuse, improper installation or alteration of this product.
F. All parts of this Holmes product are guaranteed for a period of 3 years as follows:
- Within the first 30 days from date of purchase, the store from which you purchased your Holmes product should replace this product if it is defective in material or workmanship (provided the store has in-stock replacement.)
- Within the first thirty six months from date of purchase, subject to the conditions in paragraph H, Holmes will repair or replace the product if it is defective in material or workmanship providing it is returned to Holmes, freight prepaid, with PROOF OF PURCHASE date, together with $6.00 for handling and return packing/shipping charges.
G. If you have any problem with this product, please write our Consumer Service Dept., or call, 1-800-5-HOLMES.
H. IMPORTANT RETURN INSTRUCTIONS Your warranty depends on your following these instructions if you are returning the unit more than 30 days after the date of purchase:
- Carefully pack the item in its original carton or other suitable box to avoid damage in shipping.
- Before packing your unit for return; be sure to enclose:
a) Your name, full address with zip code and telephone number,
b) A dated sales receipt or PROOF OF PURCHASE,
c) Your $6.00 check for return packaging, and
d) The model number of the unit and the problem you are having. (Enclose in an envelope and tape directly to the unit before the box
- Holmes recommends you insure the package (as damage in shipment is not covered by your warranty).
- All shipping charges must be prepaid by you (as noted in paragraph F).
- Mark the outside of your package:
CONSUMER SERVICE DEPARTMENT
THE HOLMES GROUP, INC.
2 PULLMAN STREET
WORCESTER, MA 01606
SHIPPING AND HANDLING CHARGES: $6.00
This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may have other rights which vary from state to state. The provisions of this warranty are in addition to, and not a modification of, or subtraction from, the statutory warranties and other rights and remedies contained in any applicable legislation. To the extent that any provision of this warranty is inconsistent with any applicable law, such provision shall be deemed voided or amended, as necessary, to comply with such law.
You can download the PDF version of the HOLMESS AIR PURIFIER USER’S MANUAL here.