THE DOCTOR’S CHOICE TRUE HEPA ALLERGEN REMOVER AIR PURIFIERS
For Models: HPA090 series, HPA100 series,
HPA200 series & HPA300 series
IMPORTANT SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS
When using electrical appliances, basic precautions should always be followed to reduce the risk of fire, electric shock, and injury to persons, including the following:
- Read all instructions before operating the air purifier.
- Place air purifier where it is not easily knocked over by persons in the household.
- Always turn the air purifier controls to the OFF position and unplug from the wall outlet when not in use.
- To disconnect the air purifier, make sure the unit is powered OFF then grip the plug and pull it from the wall outlet. Never pull by the cord.
- Do not use any product with a damaged cord or plug or if product malfunctions, is dropped or damaged in any manner. Keep the cord away from heated surfaces.
- Do not use air purifier outdoors.
- Never use air purifier unless it is fully assembled.
- Do not run power cord under carpets, and do not cover with throw rugs. Arrange cord such that it will not be tripped over.
- Do not use air cleaner where combustible gases or vapors are present.
- Do not expose the air purifier to rain, or use near water, in a bathroom, laundry area or other damp location.
- The air purifier must be used in its upright position.
- Do not allow foreign objects to enter ventilation or exhaust opening as this may cause electric shock or damage to the air purifier. Do not block air outlets or intakes.
- Locate air purifier near the outlet and avoid using an extension cord.
- This appliance has a polarized plug (one blade is wider than the other). To reduce the risk of shock, this plug is intended to fit only one way in a polarized outlet. If the plug does not fit fully in the outlet, reverse the plug. If it still does not fit, contact a qualified electrician. DO NOT attempt to defeat this safety
- A loose fit between the AC outlet (receptacle) and plug may cause overheating and a distortion of the plug. Contact a qualified electrician to replace
loose or worn outlet.
- Do not sit, stand or place heavy objects on the air purifier.
- Disconnect power supply before servicing.
YOUR AIR PURIFIER
Type R A A R Odor Reducing Pre-Filter or R A A R Household Gas & Odor Reducing Pre-Filter
HPA100 series, HPA200 series, HPA300 series
Type R A A R Odor Reducing Pre-Filter or R A A R Household Gas & Odor Reducing Pre-Filter
HOW YOUR AIR PURIFIER WORKS
This model air purifier incorporates a 2-stage cleaning system to help clean the air that passes through the filter in the unit (Fig. 1).
• Select a firm, level and flat location.
• When operating, large volumes of air are drawn toward the air purifier. Surrounding areas should be cleaned and/or vacuumed frequently to prevent build-up of dust and other contaminates. This may also help prolong the life of the filter. If the unit is placed on a light colored carpet, a small mat or rug
should be used underneath to prevent permanent staining. This is especially important in homes with contamination from smoking, fireplaces, or where candles are burned.
• Ensure the front of the unit faces away from the closest wall or furniture.
• Ensure no grilles are blocked.
INSTALL TRUE HEPA FILTERS AND ODOR REDUCING PRE-FILTER
The True HEPA Filters and Odor Reducing Pre-Filter are supplied within the air purifier. New air purifiers have their filters wrapped to ensure purity, and are labeled to help identify the proper replacement filter. (Type R A A True HEPA Filter; Type R R A A R Odor Reducing Pre-Filter or R A A R Household Gas & Odor Reducing Pre-Filter)
• Before using your new air purifier you must remove the wrappers covering the filters and Pre-Filter. Make sure the air purifier is OFF and unplugged. Press the two hand symbols ( ) on the front grille to release it from the unit and pull the grille toward you to remove it (see Fig. 2). Grasp the sides of the
filter frame near its top end and pull outward. Repeat for the second and third filter if applicable.
• Remove protective wrap from the filters (including the Pre-Filter) that have been supplied with your air purifier.
• Place the HEPA filter(s) into the air purifier housing. Ensure that the removal “pull” tabs are facing outward (this will facilitate filter removal later). Place the
Pre-Filter on top of the HEPA filter(s). Tuck the edges of the Pre-Filter into the tabs that are located around the edges of where the HEPA filter(s) are inserted.
This will hold the Pre-Filter securely in place.
• Replace the front grille by placing the tabs on the bottom of the grille into the slot(s) on the unit. Gently push the top of the grille into place by pressing on the hand symbols ( ) to secure in place.
This product earned the ENERGY STAR rating by meeting strict energy efficiency guidelines set by the U.S. EPA. The U.S. EPA does not endorse any manufacturer claims of healthier indoor air from the use of this product.
Portable air purifiers are more effective in rooms where all doors and windows are closed. In general, it is recommended that you run your air purifier while you are at home to clean the air.
HPA090 Series Operation:
• Once the filters have been unwrapped and replaced in the unit, ensure the air purifier’s control knob is turned to the OFF position and plug the power
cord into a working electrical outlet.
• Select the desired cleaning level by turning the knob to General Clean, Allergen or Turbo setting (Fig. 3).
• The Turbo setting will operate the air purifier at the highest speed. This setting will maximize the unit’s ability to help reduce odors and will help clean the air quickly if you have a specific air quality issue that needs to be addressed.
• The Allergen setting will effectively help reduce airborne allergen from the air that passes through the filter.
HPA100, 200, 300 Series Operation:
• Once the filters have been unwrapped and replaced in the unit, plug the power cord into a working electrical outlet.
• Select the desired cleaning level by simply
TAPPING the power symbol ( ) to toggle through the setting options. A blue LED light will illuminate the selected setting: Germ, General Clean or Allergen.
TAP POWER ( ) for on/off & cleaning level selection.
ALLERGEN optimizes allergen capturing performance during allergen season.
GENERAL CLEAN for general, everyday air cleaning.
GERM optimizes germ capturing performance. Use during cold & flu season.
TAP TURBO ( ) for power cleaning or fast odor reduction.
• The Turbo setting operates the unit at the highest speed. This setting will maximize the unit’s ability to
help reduce odors and will help clean the air quickly. To select the Turbo setting the unit must already be running at one of the 3 cleaning settings, TAP the Turbo icon ( ). The Turbo LED will illuminate. TAPPING the Turbo icon ( ) again will return the air purifier to the previous cleaning setting. To shut OFF, tap the Power symbol ( ) until the air purifier shuts off.
Using the Timer Option (Not available on the HPA090 Series):
The Timer Option ( ) allows you to select how long the air purifier will run before it automatically shuts off. There are three pre-set run times: 2, 4, and 8 hours. Do
not use this option if you want the unit to run continuously.
• To set the unit for Automatic Shut Off, TAP the Auto-off Timer icon ( ).
• Continue to TAP to toggle through to the desired time setting.
• An LED light will illuminate to indicate the selected run time (Fig. 5).
• The unit will automatically shut off after the indicated run time.
Using the Dimmer Option (Not available on the HPA090 Series)
The Dimmer Option ( ) allows you to adjust the brightness of the LED displays on the control panel (Fig. 8). You may wish to adjust the brightness depending on the room where the unit is placed. The unit always turns on with the brightness on HIGH.
To adjust brightness:
• TAP the Dimmer icon ( ) once to dim the lights to LOW.
• TAP the Dimmer icon ( ) twice and it will shut the lights OFF. (the air purifier will not shut off).
• TAPPING the Dimmer icon ( ) a third time will return the brightness to HIGH.
ELECTRONIC FILTER CHANGE REMINDER
These air purifier models each have two electronic filter checks to remind you when to check and replace the True-HEPA filters and the Odor Reducing Pre-
Filters based on the air cleaner’s hours of use.
When the True HEPA filter(s) and/or the Pre-Filter need to be replaced, the “Check Filter” or “Check Pre-Filter” light will illuminate (Fig. 7).
You should periodically check these filters. Depending on operating conditions, the True-HEPA filters should be replaced every 12 months, and the Odor
Reducing Pre-Filters every 3 months, especially if there have been heavy odors and particles in the home.
To RESET Either Electronic Filter Check:
After you have replaced the appropriate filter(s) the “Check Filter or “Check Pre-Filter” light will remain on until it is reset. With the unit powered on, press the lighted button and hold for approximately 2 seconds until the light turns off. The electronic filter check is now reset. Depending on individual usage
(environment and hours used), you may need to replace filters more or less frequently.
NOTE: If you change the Pre-Filter or Filter before the Electronic Filter Check lights are illuminated, it is possible to re-set the light indicators. With the unit plugged in, but NOT powered on, press and hold each button individually for at least 5 seconds. This will illuminate the indicator light. After the light turns on,
individually press and hold the “Check Filter” or “Check Pre-Filter” button until each light goes off. At this point, the filter indicator will be re-set to it’s original “clean” status.
These cleaning intervals are intended as guidelines only. Performance of any filter media is dependent upon the concentration of contaminates going through the system. High concentrations of contaminates such as dust, pet dander and smoking will reduce the useful performance of the filter.
NOTE: None of the filters are washable. Do not immerse them in water.
REPLACING THE TRUE-HEPA FILTERS
See INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS on page 3 of this manual. You may be able to purchase Honeywell replacement True-HEPA filter R A A
for your air purifier at the store R where you purchased your air purifier or they can be ordered directly from Kaz USA, Inc., the licensee of Honeywell air purifiers at www.replacementfilters.com. If you have any questions, contact Kaz Consumer Services at 1-800-477-0457.
ODOR REDUCING PRE-FILTER MAINTENANCE
The odor reducing pre-filter not only helps reduce odors, but also helps capture large airborne particles that enter the grille. This Pre-Filter should be replaced every 3 months, as it will become covered with particles and fibers that will reduce filtration performance.
Use the specially designed Type R A A R Odor Reducing Pre-filter or the Type R A A R Household Gas & Odor Reducing Pre-filter, available where the True HEPA filters are sold and from Kaz at: www.replacementfilters.com or by calling Kaz Consumer Relations at 1-800-477-0457.
CLEANING AND STORAGE
We recommend that you clean the air purifier at least once every 3 months and before extended storage. Use only a dry cloth to wipe the external surfaces of the air purifier. DO NOT USE WATER, WAX POLISH, OR ANY CHEMICAL SOLUTION.
If your Air Purifier will not be used for more than 30 days, we recommend that you:
• Remove the True-HEPA Filters from the unit.
• Wrap the True-HEPA Filters in an air tight plastic bag.
• Remove the Odor Reducing Pre-filter and place it in an air tight plastic bag.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
My Air Purifier is starting to make noise and the air output is less. What’s wrong?
The filters may be dirty. High amounts of contaminates can block the pores in the filter and stop the air from moving through it. Replace the Filters.
How long should I run my Air Purifier?
In general, the unit will be most effective when doors and windows are closed. It is recommended that you run your air purifier while you are at home to clean the air.
Can I wash any of the filters in my Air Cleaner?
No. Washing either filter will ruin it.
ACCESSORIES AND REPLACEMENT FILTERS
If you would like your air purifier to remain effective at reducing household odors, and/or household gases (VOCs) and to operate most effectively, you should replace the Odor Reducing Pre-Filter once every 3 months. This Pre-Filter is available as the Odor Reducing Pre-Filter R A A R model HRF-AP1 or you may use model HRF-APP1 R A A R for Household Gas & Odor Reduction.
To order replacement filters for your air purifier, go to www.replacementfilters.com or call 1-800-477-0457.
• True-HEPA filter R A A Model HRF-R1 (single pack) or HRF-R2 (2 pack) or HRF-R3 (3 pack) R
• Odor Reducing Pre-Filter model R A A R HRF-AP1 or Household Gas & Odor Reducing Pre-Filter R A A R model HRF-APP1
Mail questions or comments to:
Kaz USA, Inc.
Consumer Relations Dept.
250 Turnpike Road
Southborough, MA 01772
Call us toll-free at: 1-800-477-0457
Or visit our website at: www.kaz.com
Please be sure to specify a model number.
NOTE: IF YOU EXPERIENCE A PROBLEM, PLEASE CONTACT CONSUMER RELATIONS FIRST OR SEE YOUR WARRANTY. DO NOT RETURN TO THE UNIT TO THE ORIGINAL PLACE OF PURCHASE. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO OPEN THE MOTOR HOUSING YOURSELF, DOING SO MAY VOID YOUR WARRANTY AND CAUSE DAMAGE TO THE AIR PURIFIER OR PERSONAL INJURY.
5 YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY
You should first read all instructions before attempting to use this product.
A. This 5 year limited warranty applies to repair or replacement of product found to be defective in material or workmanship. This warranty does not apply to damage resulting from commercial, abusive, unreasonable use or supplemental damage. Defects that are the result of normal wear and tear will not be
considered manufacturing defects under this warranty. KAZ USA, INC. IS NOT LIABLE FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY NATURE. ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ON THIS PRODUCT IS LIMITED IN DURATION TO THE DURATION OF
THIS WARRANTY. Some jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages or limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts, so the above limitations or exclusions may not apply to you. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you also may have other rights which vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. This warranty applies only to the original purchaser of this product from the original date of purchase.
B. At its option, Kaz USA, Inc. will repair or replace this product if it is found to be defective in material or workmanship. Defective product should be returned to the place of purchase in accordance with store policy. Thereafter, while within the warranty period defective product may be returned to Kaz.
C. This warranty does not cover damage resulting from any unauthorized attempts to repair or from any use not in accordance with the instruction manual.
D. This warranty DOES NOT cover the washable Pre-Filter or the HEPA filters, except for material or workmanship defects.
E. Return defective product to Kaz USA, Inc. with a brief description of the problem. Include proof of purchase and a $10 US/$15.50 CAN check or money order for handling, return packing and shipping charges. Please include your name, address and a daytime phone number. You must prepay shipping charges. Send to:
Kaz USA, Inc.
Attn: Returns Department
4755 Southpoint Drive
Memphis, TN 38118
Kaz Canada, Inc.
Attn: Returns Department
510 Bronte Street South
Milton, ON L9T 2X6
Please go to www.kaz.com and register your product under the Customer Care Center and receive product information updates and new promotional offers.
You can download the PDF version of the Honeywell User’s Manual here.